During this COVID-19 pandemic, the federal government has passed multiple regulations for those impacted by the virus. These regulations provide paid sick and family leave, as well as an expansion of unemployment benefits for those who have permanently or temporarily lost their jobs as a result of the pandemic.
Even in the time of a pandemic, workers have the right to be free from discrimination and retaliation, rights to reasonable accommodations, privacy rights, and rights to a safe and healthy workplace are still in force. Our law firm has put together guidelines to address the most common concerns and questions that employees have during this pandemic.
See the guidance below on the Family First Coronavirus Response Act, answering questions such as:
- How do I take time off to care for my own or family member’s illness due to COVID-19?
- Do I qualify for paid leave under the new federal regulations?
- What will my pay be if I take the new paid leave?
- Is my job protected when I come back from leave?
See the guidance below on the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, answering questions on unemployment such as:
- I am only temporarily laid off, can I receive unemployment?
- My hours or salary has been reduced, can I receive unemployment?
- Can I seek unemployment benefits for longer than 26 weeks?
- What extra benefits is the governing providing?
See the guidance below on COVID-19’s impact on privacy and disability rights in the workplace, answering questions such as:
- Can I continue to receive accommodations while working from home?
- In what cases is my employer allowed to prohibit me from the workplace?
- Are our employers allowed to take our temperature?
- How must my employer keep my medical information safe?
See the guidance below on employer layoffs and reductions in salaries or hours, answering questions such as:
- What is the difference between a furlough and layoff?
- What pay am I entitled to in a furlough?
- How does a furlough or layoff affect my health benefits?
- Can my employer change my salary or job duties?
See the guidance below on employee safety rights in the workplace, answering questions such as:
- How should my employer be protecting workers on site?
- What laws require employer to ensure the workplace is safe from COVID-19?
- Am I protected if my employer fires or disciplines me for complaining about workplace safety issues?